This Lasagna Soup is one of my all time favorites! You get all the flavors of a delicious hearty lasagna in a comforting soup form! It’s loaded with beef, tomatoes and Italian herbs and the melty cheese just takes it over the top.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (1 3/4 cups)
- 5 garlic cloves, to taste, minced*
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, then more to thin as desired
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 3/4 tsp dried basil**
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into bite size pieces (6.5 oz)***
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, crumble beef into pot, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally until browned. Drain fat from beef and set beef aside.
Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in pot, add chopped yellow onion and saute until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
Add in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, browned ground beef and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare lasagna noodles according to directions listed on package.
In a mixing bowl, using a fork, stir together mozzarella, parmesan and ricotta.
Stir cooked pasta into soup along with parsley, then thin soup with a little more broth if desired****.
Ladle soup into bowls, dollop with a large scoop of the cheese mixture and sprinkle with chopped parsley (cheese will melt well once stirred into soup).
Recipe From cooking classy