This delicious homemade soft pretzel bites recipe is easy to make in about 1 hour with ingredients you likely already have on hand.
- 1 1/2 cups warm (110 to 115°F) milk*
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt*, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, plus extra for brushing
- 9 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg (whisked with 1 tablespoon water)
- Mix the dough. Whisk together the warm milk, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer). Sprinkle the yeast on top, and wait 5 minutes for the yeast to activate.
- Knead the dough. Add the flour and melted butter. Then either (a) use a spoon to mix everything in until combined, and then use your hands to knead the dough for about 4 minutes until it is smooth, adding a bit more flour if the dough is too sticky or (b) if using a stand mixer, place the dough hook on the mixer and mix on medium speed for 4 minutes until the dough is smooth, adding a bit more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Let the dough rise. Transfer the dough to a lightly-oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let the dough rest for 20 to 30 minutes in a warm place until it has doubled in size.
- Heat oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper, then set aside.
- Prepare the boiling water solution. Combine the water and baking soda in a stockpot or very large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Form the pretzel bites. In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a lightly-oiled work surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into even 3/4-inch wide ropes. Use a knife to cut the rope into individual pretzel bites, about 1-inch long each.
- Boil the pretzel bites. Very carefully, use a spatula or large wire strainer to transfer the the bites into the boiling water, about a dozen or so at a time time, for about 30 seconds per batch. Use the spatula to transfer the pretzel bites to the parchment-lined pan, and repeat with the remaining pretzel bites.
- Add egg wash and salt. Finally, brush the top of each pretzel bite with the egg wash and sprinkle with the coarse sea salt.
- Bake. Bake until the pretzel bites reach your desired level of golden brown color, about 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- (Optional: Brush with extra butter.) If you would like your pretzel bites to taste extra buttery, brush them with extra melted butter just before serving.
- Serve warm. These pretzel bites taste best the day they have been baked, and even better hot out of the oven. So serve warm and enjoy!
Recipe from gimmesomeoven.com