The Best Turkey Recipe for Thanksgiving rubbed with herb butter, covered in cheesecloth and basted with wine. So deliciously moist and juicy.
- 1 whole Turkey (Preferable fresh and all natural not injected with any solution.)
- 1/2 cup Butter, Melted
- 2 cups Dry White Wine
- 2 cups Chicken Or Turkey Stock
- 1 cup Butter, Softened
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Sage, Stem Removed and Chopped
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Rosemary, Stem Removed and Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme, Stem Removed and Chopped
- 1 whole Lemon, Zested (Preferably Organic)
- 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 teaspoons Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Add 2 cup water to the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Combine melted butter white wine and stock in a medium sized saucepan. Set aside.
- Combined softened butter, sage, rosemary, thyme, lemon zest, garlic, and sea salt. Mix until well combined.
- Rub 2/3 of the softened butter and herb mixture under the skin over the turkey breast and drumsticks. Be careful not to rip the skin. Spread remaining butter over the top of turkey skin.
- If stuffing turkey, stuff at this time and tie legs together and and secure skin flap in back. If not stuffing add onions, garlic, 1 lemon cut in half, carrots and celery to the cavity of turkey for extra flavor. Tie legs together, secure skin flap in back and tuck wings under turkey.
- Take cheesecloth and fold large enough to cover top and sides of turkey.
- Dip cheese cloth into white wine/butter mixture and cover the top and sides of the turkey with cheesecloth.
- Heat butter/white wine mixture on low to warm and use for basting. When butter white wine mixture runs low use pan juices.
- Place turkey in oven and baste every 20-30 minutes until thigh meat registers 180-185 degrees F and if stuffed stuffing needs to register at 165 degrees F. Allow any where from 15 to 20 minutes per pound if stuffed, a little bit less for unstuffed. About 7-7 1/2 hours for a 29 pound turkey.
- Remove cheesecloth 30-45 minutes before removing from oven and baste well to brown skin. If cheesecloth is sticking baste it well to loosen it from the skin.
- Allow turkey to rest 15 minutes before slicing to allow juices to soak back into meat, make gravy during this time with remaining pan juices.