Mexican Cornbread Casserole is a hearty weeknight dinner recipe the whole family will love.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 14.75 oz cream style corn
- 8.75 oz canned corn
- 10 oz Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 oz taco seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 17 oz Jiffy cornbread mix (2 boxes)
- 2 eggs, large
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Dump the ground beef into a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Crumble the ground beef well as it cooks.
- Once the ground beef is fully cooked, drain the grease from the pan and reduce the heat to medium.
- Without draining any of the cans, add the cream style corn, canned corn and Rotel to the pan.
- Stir all of the ingredients together well.
- Add the taco seasoning, salt, pepper and onion powder to the pan.
- Stir well and leave to simmer and thicken for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove the pan from the heat and add 2 cups of the shredded cheese to the pan.
- Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Dump the mixture into a greased 9 x 1 3 inch baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Pour the cornbread mix into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and milk to the bowl with the cornbread mix.
- Stir until no large chunks remain.
- Pour the cornbread batter over the ground beef mixture in the baking dish.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake the casserole until the cornbread is starting to brown on top. 17-20 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle the remaining cup of shredded cheese on top of the cornbread.
- Return the dish to the oven and continue baking until the cheese on top is completely melted. 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to sit for a few minutes before scooping and serving.
Recipe from: thisisnotdietfood.com